Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pytash: Jago: Ch. 1

Seven Guiding Principles for Literature Teachers:

There are two defining differences between my best friend and I: 1. She only reads young adult novels and has a very limited vocabulary. 2. She is brunette and I am blonde. 

I always wondered how she couldn't just KNOW what words mean, but when reading the first chapter of Jago's Classics in the Classroom, I think I may have figured it out! The fourth principle that Jago brings up is that "Reading literature requires language study and builds vocabulary" (page 8) I'm not a huge fan of classics, but I read them and understand them. I grew up with parents that pushed me to learn new words, and use them, but if you don't grow up with this, then in school you would need to stretch your knowledge of words by reading them consistently, and using them. Jago mentions the best way of doing this by having students involved with literature, and not the every-day young adult literature, but classics. 

After last semester's young adult literature class, I was all for using young adult literature in the classroom, but what will it REALLY teach my students other than reading can be fun? While pairing these YA books with classic texts, I think we can show students that they can learn from what they read, build their knowledge base, and still have fun reading.  

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... glad you are thinking about your rationale for teaching books. Do you think all YA lit is "fun" - does it have other purposes? I selected this book because I wanted you to see a different perspective (from last semester). Looks like you are thinking and reflecting!

    ReplyDelete