Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pytash: Jago: Ch. 7

When reading this chapter I was slightly appalled that Jago supported standardized testing. Most teachers, if not the majority of teachers, that I know do not agree with these tests because they have to teach to them. It surprised me especially because Jago has focused on classic texts and my experience with the OGTs is that the classics aren't really a concern for these tests.

I thought it was important how Jago told us to connect things with the students' lives. When she related Julius Ceasar to the elections, I thought it was cool that students could relate to something so classical. This has always been my problem with the classic texts: I can't relate and I find reading them pointless. After reading this chapter, I realized that most of these books can be related to our students' lives if we try hard enough and really look outside of the box.

Overall, I liked this book. It was easy to read and understand. Jago did well with her appendixes too, I liked how planned out they were and how easy they were to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment