Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chapter 5: Learning to Make an Inference

In chapter 5, I thought it was interesting how Beers explains that everyone's inferences are different. I actually always had a hard time making inferences and I always thought I was wrong, but reading this I just see that my answers were different because I was reading differently than other students. The list of things to do on page 63 was very helpful in understanding how to make an inference. Even though it seemed so obvious, I never realized that simply figuring out who the pronouns referred to could help out so much.
I think the best tool to teach students how to make inferences is the list offered on page 69 through 71. I especially liked number three because it gives the students hope. I know a lot of people that get lost and can't just find the information they need to make inferences, but when a teacher tells them that the author puts information in the text for them, it can help them find what they need. I also thought that number five was a good strategy because it helped the students interact. Plus, who doesn't love cartoons!?
While it can be hard teaching a concept that isn't as concrete as grammar or vocabulary, teaching inferences is made easy through this list, and by putting examples with what you're asking from your students, it makes life that much easier for the both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment