Friday, December 17, 2010

Chapter 10: Fluency and Automaticity

When reading aloud in my high school classrooms, I always got upset when the teacher called on a student that I knew would read slowly, sound out words, and read in a monotone and it seemed like my teachers ALWAYS chose those students. From chapter 10, I learned that my fellow students just didn't have fluency and automaticity. I thought it was interesting that Beers explained that students that lack these skills usually need to see the words four times as many times as students that can read fluently. I'm wondering if my teachers knew this, and that's why they called on the students that needed practice?

I really liked suggestion three in improving fluency. The exercise where you would stress different words in a sentence even helped me, a seasoned reader, understand fluency. Something else that I've noticed in students is that they don't always pay attention to the punctuation and read all of the sentences in a monotone. I like the exercise of putting different puntuactions at the end of the same sentence to see how the students changes the tone of their voice with the punctuation.

On a last note, I really found it helpful that Beers said not to correct the students, but to prompt them to figure the word out through sounding it out, finding other words in it, and asking if they recognize the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment