Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chapter 14: Finding the Right Book

Earlier in the semester (my first blog post actually) I mentioned how my boyfriend hated to read. Throughout this semester I had been finding all different books for him to spark that little piece of interest in reading. It's funny how it all started with that, and now in the chapter that is assigned, it talks about finding the perfect type of book. Well guess what? I found it for him. Nikki Heat by Richard Castle. He LOVES watching the TV show, and when his favorite character was releasing a book in real life he always showed a little interest. So I went and got it for him. I caught him reading it almost every day until the book was done and now he wants the next one that has been released.

I can see how teaching with Young Adult literature can be so important now because on pages 287 and 288 the list of requirements for books for non-readers explains these books to a T! It states that non-readers want characters their age, characters with tough choices, realistic language, and an easily defined conflict. If that doesn't define a young adult novel, then I don't know what does!

The idea of ways to get stuednts interested in books was interesting too, and I even recognized a one way that Dr. Pytash did this. She used the read and tease to start a lot of our classes and get us interested in different young adult books. I think this strategy really works because I wanted to add almost every book that she read to my "To Read" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment